PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pondering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 15:40
Busdriver01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FRYVA
My experience...

I joined BA on the 320 post redundancy elsewhere. Before that I had the privilege of a decade working for a couple of really decent operators between scheduled/charters, SH/LH.

My opinion- overly corporate, impersonal and being junior the rosters were totally unworkable unless you lived at the end of the runway and/or hate your kids. The whole place just lacks any soul or enjoyment.

Out of 5 flying jobs so far it was my least favourite by a distance and I would never consider the 320 again for any amount of money. SH is likely not even close to being the airline you probably think it is. And as somebody has put above re: the whole "You're only junior once..." Lolz- not quite. Try pretty much every time you change seat/fleet.

Fortunately... being binned due Covid gave me the kick up the arse to turn a little side business into a proper one. I now do that plus a bit of freelance flying and have a lifestyle I'd never have in a million years in BA.

So yes, the grass is potentially greener outside BA, certainly was for me.

All the best with it.
Covid certainly gave me a bit of a wake-up call that although I love flying and seeing new places, I achieve the majority of my happiness/life satisfaction etc by spending time with my friends and family, and that's usually done at the weekend, or after work (which is troublesome if you're in bed ready for a 3am alarm, or you're in a different country entirely with a group of admittedly lovely people but who aren't actually *friends* with).

Bills need to be paid and i'm not one for sitting in an office so remaining in my current flying job is the best option at the moment, but investing some of my salary into part time and cutting my cloth accordingly, in order to achieve a better work/life balance is high on the agenda.

Also, the triple is no place to be if you're junior, either, from a quick glance at some of the rosters...!