PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation regulators push for more automation so flights can be run by a single pilot
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 17:36
MechEngr

Received 196 Likes on 107 Posts
That would be fewer pilots - in several accidents I'm not sure that having two pilots was of benefit. These crashes seemed to depend heavily on the assumption by one pilot that the other pilot was doing some action and the other pilot doing the same, with neither doing the correct thing. PIA8303, for example, where the PIC had essentially committed to slamming it down, and the FO thought they were going around when he retracted the gear. Without the FO action it would have been significantly different.

What I would expect is a slight increase in the number of flights where the lone pilot fell asleep.

Overall it doesn't seem to me like a large positive action to reduce the number of pilots in a plane, regardless of special cases where it wasn't. It's very difficult to determine when things went right only because there were two and I'm not keen to find that number out by having those accidents with one.