PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Tornado GR1 cockpit project so far
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2022, 10:55
Jayviator

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
It has been a while since I have posted any updates on my project, truth is it's getting really hard toi find the last few things I need to complete it, but I have made some small changes, only the keen eye will notice.
I have now got all the correct buttons for the HUMS (head up mode selector) box which has the autopilot controls. I was missing the THROT button which was the autothrottle control, there was just a NEXT TGT button in it's place, so that's now been fixed. also the TF (terrain following) has been swapped, the one I had was for Tornado GR4 and just looked like a blank button, only if I shine a light on it you could see it said TF, i think that was for NVG, used in GR$ version, as my cockpit is supposed top represent a GR1 I managed to swap it for a GR1 version which the TF caption is visible.
The most obvious addition is the HUD camera periscope which fits in the cut out in the HUD glass, that was a bit of a tricky thing to fit, I had to remove the glass from the HUD.
There are a couple of non genuine parts but they are quite in obscure so not worried about that, one is the mount for the MASS, I was unaware it had a mount until I saw someone had made some reproductions. and finally my HUD was missing the round bit of glass which has a green colour so i just got a disk of green acrylic cut to size and it slotted into place it looks OK, better than having nothing.
There's not really much more I can do with the main instrument panel, There are 2 buttons I would like to replace with the correct ones but I have never seen any. I don't even know what those buttons were for so I cannot search for them. I also need a pedal adjust knob it looks like I may have to go down the replica route with that but I can live with that.
Really now my main task is to built a structure to support it all so I can put the rudder pedal assembly in place and finally get rid of the cardboard box its all supported on, it will look 100 times better then. And then I can work on the side consoles and getting the quarter panels in place.