PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R Areas - Shoalwater Bay
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2022, 03:14
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=spoony;11330040]Geoff, based on your previous thread creations, anybody would think you have a vendetta against our military and national interests. It shouldn't require much explanation, however clearly you need it. Airspace must be designated as PRDs at times, often for our military largely to ensure it remains effective and capable, but equally to ensure the safety of uninvolved aircraft. They almost always deactivated when not in use.

Hi Spoony,
Welcome to the world of PPrune, a forum where ideas can be circulated and commented on. Regrettably you have jumped into the first trap and attacked the writer instead of the idea; ad hominin, I think the lawyers call it.

No, my vendetta is not against "our military and national interests", in this case it is against governments using illegal means to achieve their aims, while crowing about the rule of law.

You use that very contentious word "clearly" in your post, yet you then go on to claim that without PRDs our military would not be capable or effective, and then assume that without PRDs uninvolved aircraft would be unsafe. Have you not heard of radar surveillance and air traffic control? To mention only two nations, do you know that most US military airfields are assigned only a 5NM Class D area surrounded by Class E, or that most UK military airfields do not even get Class D or E protection, but have to get by with what is called a Military Air Traffic Zone (MATZ) surrounded by Class G airspace? "Clearly" their militaries are neither capable or effective!

To be clear, I have no issues with Prohibited or Danger Areas, it is the prolific use of Restricted Areas in Australia that I find an unnecessary restriction on our citizenry. Therefore, whenever I can, I take the opportunity to remind the "powers that be" of their responsibilities under the law and ask, otherwise, for them to justify R Areas. CASA has reneged on it's airspace responsibilities by setting up the AVSEF system, whereby all corresondence about airspace changes is directed to the proposer. Hence my challenges end up on the desk of some poor Squadron Leader who in the end will only be able to tell me that CASA will eventually decide. As far as I can see that decision will only be communicated to the proposer, the rest of us find out when the chart is published or the NOTAM is issued. A fine system, indeed!