PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2022, 10:44
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WHBM
Doubtless like many here, I recall the massed pass at the end of Duxford's Flying Legends. Impressive. All assembled well out over the countryside, and flying past in a steady formation, which took a considerable amount of briefing.

In contrast, looking at shots of Dallas, this seems to have been a ragged and high speed formation, in a constant left turn, done over a city. The accident aircraft were well up in the sequence, with many others being visible in various degrees of turn and spacing just behind them. Quite how someone in a close formation could even contemplate being in a 45-degree banked turn, unlikely to have been briefed, just seems extraordinary.
What I read somewhere else said by a pilot who appears to ave taken part in earlier shows is that the bombers are supposed to fly on one side of or over the runway, while smaller planes are to stay to the South of the runway. This would make sense. Given that this airshow has been going on for many years without any incident and given the CAF's track record, this appears to be a quite well planned and briefed air show.

Obviously there will be lots of people shouting for banning air shows totally, as it always happens after such tragic events. Instead, I suppose the folks in charge will look at this very carefully as the professionals they are will draw their conclusions how to do better in avoidance next time. The CAF have been instrumental in keeping these planes flying. I do vividly recall many times Iˆve read articles by former and current members about how careful they are, people like John Deakin or Randy Sohn discussing this on various platforms.

As sad as this event is, as long as there is one airplane in the air there is a risk of an accident. We, as professionals, are in a never ending learning process on how to avoid them and the safety record of aviation today as compared to the "old days" speaks for itself.