PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-500 missing in Indonesia
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2022, 04:12
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Where to begin

1. Hmmm.
2. The thrust levers split on a vanilla, fly by #8 gauge wire B737, for a little less than 1&1/2 minutes before someone woke up that the reason their ear was hurting was because they were flying sideways... whatever movie they were watching, I hope it was worth it.
3. The logbook, post-its notes etc... do not make up for having 2 pilots that had not an idea of what they were doing in the plane. Had this been a C310, or a Baron, they would have had the same outcome. The fact that a post it note, or INOP sticker was going to be the saving grace is vacuous. If the guys had the problem at any other time, are they supposed to do a Tom Hanks, and roll down a window and ask where the nearest gas station with a toilet is?
4. UPRT training [1]. I'm involved in that, I have done high alt stalls, Mdive, windups, mid altitude full stalls in all configurations in this type and various others. the ICAO UPRT program is a nice glossy concept, it will increase the cost of simulators, increase the problem with getting QTGs sorted out, (I'm in the middle of one of those things.. ) it increases the problems of TTT, and the quality of what is taught is still going to be dependent on the day. Do I believe it is an improvement? Well, it is a great stand-in for not training correctly in the first place, and not being able to come to grips with the fundamental problem, that is, LOSS OF SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Had a pilot with a modicum of SA been looking at the world around him or her, then the fact that they were flying sideways, and that the thrust levers were not in an eye pleasing arrangement might have been caught.

Good Grief

This is not even the pilots fault. Someone "trained" this group, someone "hired" this group, and someone "standardised" this group. Someone "oversaw" their competency, as surely they had no awareness.

Nice barrel roll though, a bit of top rudder would help.

It took almost a minute and a half to get the thrust to symmetrical, at idle. Well, shoot. 90 seconds, lets call this speedy. After all they were doing 100m/sec to start with, and then when they got the noise makers into harmony they were pointing 80 degrees nose down, had rolled through inverted, and were doing apparently well over 400KCAS. I would be impressed that there weren't bits of plane, probably the elevators released into the air before they got wet.

Lets be honest for a change, instead of politically correct. Lets give a bit of consideration to the passengers. They pay and can reasonably expect a professional crew to sit in control of their existence for the period of time that they are on board the bus. This is in one word, embarrassing. it is also not a cultural issue, this is barely any different to the shambolic delivery by Prime into the water off Houston of a B767F. I know a number of really good Indonesian pilots, pity there wasn't a pilot in the cockpit of this aircraft.

Startle? seriously, if you are jamming your ear into the rail that the DV window slides on, one can assume that anyone with a heartbeat and a modicum of interest in the proceedings would respond with some level of curiosity.

golly.

I am sorry, this is about as annoying as a data set can be.

FDR

[1]
  • FAA AC 120.111 UPRT
  • ICAO Doc 9859 AN/ Safety Management Systems
  • ICAO Doc 10011 AN/506, Manual on Aeroplane Upset Prevention and Recovery Training
  • ICAO PANS-TRG, Doc 9868, Procedures for Air Navigation Services – Training
  • ICAO Annex 1 — Personnel Licensing
  • ICAO Annex 6 — Operation of Aircraft, Part I — International Commercial Air Transport — Aeroplanes
  • ICAO Doc 9625 Manual of Criteria for the Qualification of Flight Simulation Training Devices – Volume 1 Aeroplanes
  • CASA AC 121-03 v1.0 Upset prevention and recovery training
  • CASA AC 61-16 v1.0 Spin avoidance and stall recover training