PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair near Gympie, Qld
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2022, 21:36
Lead Balloon

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
In the context of a general discussion about the practicalities of operating in airspace where there are NO calls MANDATED by reference to SPECIFIC distances from or SPECIFIC heights/altitudes above aerodromes in G (apart from the BA and AFIZ humps on the camel), I am intrigued at this earlier comment:
With the digital control of most radios and all of the electronic flight bags everybody is using, your radio should automatically change to the correct frequency based on your geographical location and altitude.
Can you walk me through the distance and altitude parameters that would ‘trigger’ the automatic change from e.g. Area to CTAF? The mention of altitude indicates that distance alone (e.g. 10nm) is not enough. That makes sense (at least to me) and that’s why I usually don’t monitor the CTAF of an aerodrome I’m overflying at an altitude of 9,500’. But perhaps I’m a dangerous loose cannon.

So what would the altitude parameter be? And, more importantly, shouldn’t the parameter be height above aerodrome level?

(Of course, although my question is prompted by the comment that the frequency change could be triggered automatically, these distance and altitude/height decisions are currently being made by individual pilots on the basis of their individual judgments, then (hopefully) implemented manually accordingly.)