PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question. BBC Rogue SAS Heroes series
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2022, 16:07
Diff Tail Shim

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by longer ron
Trouble is - people are quick to say 'it's not a documentary' - but the programme was made using real peoples names and this one in particular seemed intent on blackening Paddy Maynes character and perpetuating some myths about his miltary career,he was indeed a complex person but apparently well educated,well read and planned things out very carefully when possible.Sure he was no angel but I think it very unfair to present a role in a TV series using real peoples names and not to present the true facts - or at least not exaggerate character to over dramatise the role/narrative.
With the SAS/LRDG there was no need to exaggerate anything,real events were exciting enough.The action scenes I thought were reasonably accurately presented
Not a new thing with film makers of course - one of the worst being how Private Hook was portrayed in 'Zulu' - his family were really upset by it.
I would read the titles that it is mainly based on events that happen. So therefore is not a documentary. Of course Mayne was intelligent, he played Union for a start. But it was mentioned in the documentary shown 5 years ago they he was almost psychopathic in his tendanciies. That was from guys that served with him. .