PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Within 6ft of the Ground nearly 1 mile Short of Runway
Old 26th Oct 2022, 09:34
slast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by punkalouver
While I found the video from Mentour Pilot to be useful, it has left me wondering if his videos sometimes don't include important information such as this quote from post #4 on this thread: "9 seconds between minima and TOGA". Isn't that of significant importance.
To repeat - slightly edited - my earlier comment (post #133).
"the preliminary report seems to be clear that ...the crew flew straight through (what they believed to be) the MDA at a constant descent rate of 12 ft/sec, without having any visual references. It appears that the need for a go-around was not manifested for a further 6 seconds (72 ft further descent), when the Captain disconnected the autopilot and made a nose-up input, but a full go-around was not initiated for a further 3 seconds when TOGA was applied. So even if the altimeters had been set correctly obstacle clearance would have been significantly infringed – at the lowest point the aircraft would have been 123 feet below the correct MDA, apparently in full IMC. From the Captain’s actions (autopilot disconnect and stick back and then TOGA power 3 seconds later) it seems likely that he was not mentally prepared for a go-around.

So regardless of the altimetry issue, we have a prima facie serious breach of AOM in that the aircraft descended far below the indicated MDA without the Captain having seen visual cues which should already have “been in view for sufficient time for the pilot to have made an assessment of the aircraft position and rate of change of position in relation to the desired flight path.” (ICAO definition of reqjired visual reference)."
To repeat: it's "DECISION to land or go around height/altitude", not "start looking for cues altitude".