PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air A330 off runway in Phillipines
Old 24th Oct 2022, 15:18
slast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to a series of messages reported on AvHerald apparently from a passenger, it appears that the first approach was followed by a relatively normal go-around. The second approach resulted in a very hard touchdown which the author felt occurred just AFTER a go-around had been initiated. "I noticed he began to pitch back just before hitting the runway. Perhaps he noticed we had a fast approach? The impact was a single loud bang, louder than any rough landing I’ve ever experienced."

Subsequently there was an emergency landing briefings from flight deck and cabin crew. 3rd approach "touchdown, [which] was completely smooth, unshaky, and a buttery impact. Passengers began clapping at the seemingly anticlimactic result, since we were bracing for the worst."
Then "I did not feel any braking force. I could sit up straight without resisting a forward force.
I did not hear the engines engaging, or revving up, for reverse thrust. I had my wife and I resume safety position just as the flight attendants started back with the shouted instructions again. Time felt simultaneously slow and fast. We placed the complimentary pillows between our heads and the seats just before we ran off the end of the runway. The grinding halt felt like it lasted roughly 5 seconds."

Entirely speculative of course: but could indicate that the impact after 2nd approach resulted in significant damage, holding was to diagnose issues, 3rd approach deliberately gentle touchdown to minimise further gear damage, but resulted in over-run?