PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident at Booker.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2022, 17:39
condor17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably , the last Trident flyby at Booker ? .......Was Sun 4th Nov. '84 . G-AWZZ LHR 1518 - BHX 1610 .
Lovely day wx wise , had been on ZZ earlier , normal S/Shuttle EDI return . Next sortie was retirement to BHX fire service. I bid for the flt and got a shareoplane skipper mate to bid the Capts seat , and another mate off standby as second F/O.
Had gee'd it up with the LHR tower for a min noise route leave LHR zone north at 2400 ' and ok'd from mate in Booker tower for a left base to 25 , flyby , and G/A to north .
Skip rang up Trident fleet manager , and got the reply ...'' Not below 500' and don't do anything silly '' !
Skip ... '' You've sorted it , your t/o my ldg '' ..
V little fuel , light , thus good excuse to light the boost , max thrust t/o with a V2 clb . No sooner a/b than pushing forward and pulling power off to level at 2400' . North from Burnham 170 kts droop and some flap , when a PA 28 passed by above us , ..... you could see his scramble for the map and dive towards the ground thinking he was in LHR zone .Talking to Booker drifted down 25 at 500'R. , trickle of power , 11000 to gently G/A turning . Talking with Luton who were warning an Aztec about our turning and passing his left wing . Lesson learned ..radius of turn at 170 greater than a C150 at 80 ..
Swopped seats with F/O mate , run by his village in Bucks . Finished with run up 33 at BHX.. full power pull up , cct to land with full reverse in the flare.. From P3 seat I was looking up at fireman standing on Landrover roof taking shots .
Pax home in B.Mid Super Shed .. Liberated stop watch still works .

PS , some months later .. Stewardess friend at a party ..
'' Do Tridents fly out of Booker ? Was taking a post Sunday lunch walk with new boyfriend in woods to west of Booker , when peace and friendship was disturbed by almighty racket of 3 Speys low overhead '' .
Me ... '' So Sorry , we did not see you and only had 11000 rpm on '' !
She married her man , and we still see them regularly now , nearly 38 yrs later .

rgds condor .