PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 incident - Houma
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 09:29
Brutal

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I must admit I have to agree with sasless on this one. While kudos to the crew for not killing everyone, initially it would have been as scary as hell, but I do think there was a lack of understanding /training played a role here. It was a gin clear day , (Thank goodness) and in our 139 sim sessions these include electrical fires, and in the end, just turn everything off and look out the window and fly the aircraft! The engines have their own source of power (a pma) so they will keep spinning. Also, if the manual beep trims do not work, then we train to use the ECL's to control the engines, using the PNF to control them while the PF flies the machine the best he can. This would have certainly been far easier and less risky using the engine mode switches , and eased the workload to allow more capacity to think!

Modern is meant to be better, but, disregarding the control issue here, and focussing on the engine controls, this wouldn't of happened if we continued to use ecl's for engine starts rather than having switches on the console, as the ecl's obviously had been forgotten that they are there when needed?