PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China recruits former British military pilots
Old 19th Oct 2022, 06:08
Hueymeister

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Come on people. Seriously. You can bleat and wail all you like but put yourself in their shoes.

You’re living in Britain with all its current problems. You are an over-worked Typhoon pilot being paid little more than a train driver (many of them will have been earning less) living in crappy old accommodation, spending months a year away from home in an organisation that increasingly makes pilots feel like they are bit-part players in a world where admin and D&I matters more than the delivery of air power. Then someone comes along and offers you a quarter of a million per year, tax free to teach some Chinese pilots how to fly jets.

In that same world, those guys look at the pilots who are only a few years ahead of them in the system who have nice houses and investment portfolios mainly because of luck with timing. They hear stories of the ‘good old days’ but cannot equate it to what is currently happening around them.

I decided it wasn’t for me but, with all things considered, I am not going to embark on a moral crusade against those that took them up on the offer.

Morals and principles are all well and good. The generations before these guys can sit in their (mortgage free) nice houses with their BMW parked on the driveway and wax lyrical about how these guys are treasonous for heading East. Fast forward 30 years and these same guys, if they’d decided against it, might be sitting in their rented semi with a Vauxhall Astra parked on the driveway feeling morally superior but bloody miserable.

Perspective and empathy is important.

BV
Perfectly put Bob.

Let's be honest, there's probably a load of PLA participating in Tim Davies' flight school/Grim Reapers learning more operational tactics on DCS...