PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Struggling with RTOs below V1
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2022, 22:37
john_tullamarine

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
and my confidence is back on track.

Well done, that man. It's amazing how many problems come down to task saturation and the brain's just getting too overloaded ... life now should be a lot better for you in the box.

the thrust cut worked wonders

I am wondering why your IP didn't emphasise that necessity at the very start of the failure briefings ?

Airborne get the IP to cycle the thrust

Although many folks probably would howl me down, my favourite approach to helping students get on top of airborne failures is to work things back to 0/0 min V1 failures with the failure timed so that the yaw starts half way through the rotation flare during the takeoff sequence. That's about the busiest it will get and, once on top of that scenario, the box holds no problems. The 732 box I referred to earlier had the seizure modelled on a real-world FDR record of an engine impact with a large bird (getting up to flamingo size) and it really seized one's attention big time. This failure scenario (during the rotation) was the epitome of shake, rattle and roll and required much (and rapid) pushing and pulling by the pilot. The ramp up in confidence was palpable. Most pilots were able to get on top of the handling. Those who couldn't still derived significant benefit. The only thing I don't know is how the fidelity might relate to the aircraft, but the stick and rudder training value appeared to be good.

Feedback from one student who, sometime later, had a fairly severe engine failure on the line was that the training resulted in his not even raising a sweat during the event so, I guess, I can sleep well at night ?

Are you suggesting the Queen of the Skies isn’t a real aeroplane

.. that is the AW650 to me .... two Fokkers in close form going nowhere terribly quickly ...