PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WIZZ AIR Skiathos vid
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2022, 17:23
Barcli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonty
Sorry, am going to take issue with this one.

You have no idea how they were trained or what’s set out in their procedures.

I will shed a little light on the subject.

They were very probably (although I can’t be 100% sure) sent into the sim to train for a narrow runway.

To start that sim would be an A320, not the A321 they were flying. Then the sim would be VERY unlikely to have dedicated Skiathos visuals. It would have been a generic airport, just with a 30m wide runway. They may not even have trained on one so short.

Then if they were very lucky, the captain may have sat on the jump seat to Skiathos before operating in there. If he/she did jumpseat, they would have seen a training captain do pretty much what they did. Why? Because that’s what happens in Skiathos. Maybe the trainer might have been 15-20 ft higher, but that’s about it.

If we go right back to basics at this place, the touch down markings (the bit you actually aim for) are 150m from the threshold. The PAPIs are at the same position. As FD has already pointed out, if you aim for these points (as you have been trained) your wheels over the threshold are 8ft. Probably about 30 over the road.

So their “willingness to press on” is because that’s how they were trained. It’s how we have ALL been trained. And it’s why EVERY approach into Skiathos looks like a minor variation of this one.

What I will end with (and it’s my last post on the matter, because I’m obviously not some Sky God, just an ordinary line guy) is if you think you could do better fill your boots. I feel for these Wizz guys, everything is stacked against them. And then some Cuck Yeager wanna be’s come on here and tell them how badly they have flown.

Spot on - well said - It is the road that is too close to the threshold - that is all ( island = short of land , maybe) - if the road was 800 mtrs from the threshold like most other airports no-one would bat an eyelid