PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former US Airline Pilot No Longer Qualified - How to get back into it
Old 13th Oct 2022, 12:30
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The good news is that the job market in the US is looking promising. I know a young lad who got on with a regional flying the CRJ only last year and has a promise of a captain's slot next year and then flow through to American mainline the year after, if all works out. The potential for fast progression is there for those who time it right. To answer your question about Europe I would say that whilst not impossible it requires a hard slog to pass the ATPL exams and the job market whilst improving looks nowhere as good as the US. 200 hours of 152 flying will cost you how much? Two minutes on the internet suggests a little over $20,000 and there are probably ways to reduce this. Every day counts a far as seniority is concerned and therefore career earnings. If you really want to do this I think you are in an excellent position to get a job with a regional upgrade to captain on what are now much improved terms and conditions. I think going straight to a major will be hard after 15 years break. But you could potentially be flying a regional jet early next year and earning about the same as a first officer at the majors the year after if you get a quick upgrade. I would strongly recommend getting on with it. My post crossed with BAfanguy who is closer to the action, but seems to be saying much the same.