PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 08:40
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by henra
I checked the videao again step by step.
What we see in the picture is just a bow wave. You can see that a small wave forms behind the pillar of the bridge as well at the left border of the circle, due to water being displaced by some fast boat passing by. The swell is coming from the right. What we see might be the bow wave of a boat driving at an angle from the right into the next bridge field. There is no actual boat to be seen, just its waves.
The delicate thing is that this boat must have come geografically from Russia or at least from 100% Russian controlled territory and then 150km across the whole Azov Sea.
Fascinating.
Its late (laite?) where you are I guess, or we both need glasses. However, yeah, whatever way this is read, Russia has an infernal internal problem... this was done in their back yard, and more or less there is a major problem that Vladomort has with Russians, forget about Ukranian's. When the home team is playing for your oppo's, it's time to go home. The odd thing is, it really doesn't matter if they did 1 if by road and 2 if by sea; both vectors are through the home teams mitts!

Originally Posted by B Fraser
That bridge looks prone to Failure Under Continual Testing........basically, it's FUCT.
If not, it'll do until the next time it gets wupped about the ears. The images of the road spans from below are revealing, and thanks for whoever handed that over, as the Ukrainians have a nice heads up confirmation of the structure, and where to whup it next time. I'm pretty sure that the civil engineers out there and those that have a good FEA analysis can confirm what the new coordinates for plinking is going to be. The Ruffians Russians would be better off leaving it as it is, there will be less damage to the bridge in the long run, and there would be lower tariffs for the bridge when Ruffians Russians want to holiday in a civilized country, assuming that Russian passports are ever again accepted anywhere outside of North Korea.

Originally Posted by petit plateau
Re the road bridge :

Personally I'm still minded towards the bomb-boat explanation. The under-bridge photo linked above is, in my opinion, looking at this wrong. Here is a helpful Maxar shot, taken from the north (NE) with the westbound (towards Crimea) side of the road closest to us. The shipping channel and high bridge is to the right. The wind at the time was blowing from the bottom of the Maxar picture towards the top of the maxar picture.

First observe that there has only been only one explosion and it took place where the sooting is on the surviving bridge deck.

Second if you look at the videos that blast is not just white homogenous smoke of a pure explosive, instead it is streaked with heterogenous coloured matter that indicates that something was mixed in it. Either an enhancer such as aluminium, and/or a jet slug such as copper, or perhaps both. It is hard to be sure what as the CCTV images are low quality. It was the spray from those particles that splashed at high velocity through the rail tank-wagons both penetrating the tank walls and setting fire to the now-leaking fuel cargo.

Third understand how that road bridge failed. That span was lifted upwards by a blast below it. The net thrust of the blast was slightly inboard of the longitudinal axis and has flipped the span slightly towards outboard so that when it landed back down it is flipped slightly northwards and displaced off its origninal bearing points. There is some evidence in the below-bridge picture that there is a hole in the piece of the bridge deck that was just above water level - I am not sure if that is happenstance or if that is a molten penetrator from an upwards-firing shaped charge. We would need close-up photos of the broken span-end to be sure either way. But irrespective that span lifted and failed into two pieces, then fell back. As it lifted it pulled the section to its right (towards the high-bridge / shipping channel) towards it i.e. the right-hand end of that section moved leftwards. That right hand end is an expansion joint segment and so it simply pulled away cleanly and fell off its support points and fell in the water without the span breaking in two - it has dropped into the water because its left hand end has been dispaced laterally (outboard). If you look to the left a couple more segments you see that a third section was similarly pulled off its bearers and has fallen at one end, but because it has only received a longitudinal pull and no lateral pull, the leftmost end has not fallen into the water. Instead it is most likely resting on the pile cap.Again this is where an expansion joint is located.

Fourth, the below-bridge shows very little sooting or other evidence of damage on the visible section of its right-side pile cap and pier. That indicates this was a directional explosion. I find it hard to imagine an ATACM warhead of 500kg punching through the bridge deck, exploding below, and doing so in such a way as to cleanly directionally explode backwards along its rocket motor axis. It seems to me much more likely that this was a c.1,000kg device carried by a bomb-boat that was shaped so as to blast predominantly upwards.

Fifth, there is no evidence I can discern as to which direction the bomb-boat would have conducted its final approach from. The most likely direction is from the Sea of Azov, but there is no evidence either way. Irrespective that is also not evidence that the general approach would have been from that direction - if anything the more likely oute would have been a hooked entrance from the seawards side.

Sixth. The SAM systems didn't go off. And if the Ukraine had ATACMs they would have had more than one and used them simultaneously so as to saturate the SAM defences. And they would definitely have targetted the rail bridge.

BUT - if better evidence comes to light then I'm sure we will hear about it. The above is my best opinion based on the evidence I can see in the public data.

paradoxically, the underside images suggest the opposite to me, that the underside was protected from the blast. Interesting pictures though. The detail analysis that the FSB will do by pulling finger nails from whoever they are going to find had 3 SIM games, 2 fake Russian passports in the name of V.V. Putin and I. Lenin, and the "I did it, I'm glad I did it and I would do it again, once I have my 9th birthday!" note that seems to be quite prevalent in Moscow at least nowdays.

The direction of approach if by sea, the risk of discovery on approach from any side would make it pretty odd to hook back after surviving access to the bridge structure. Might have been an issue with fireships of old, (ask the Spanglish) but a powered boat?

On the question of are we helping brand X with their investigation... anything that has a time delay, and which suggests that Russia has issues with Pukin is helpful to the Ukrainians.
A time delay so where there is domestic support involved, they are able to get their sandals on and scarper, (they can blend in with the Russian recruits who are being donated all terrain, all weather arctic/desert/tropical sandals.... ). Any analysis that highlights natives are restless is beneficial for Ukraine. Putin has a major problem within his own turf, and he has to sort that out, and that needs all of the forces that he has left after his efforts to gift Russian equipment and more citizens to Ukraine, while removing the offensive capability of Russia. Commenting on the expected reaction of Russia is not helpful to Russia, it might save lives in Ukraine, but by now, they are getting well trained on the methods of Vladamort, an attack on Zaphorizhia that just killed 17 civilians, at a non-military target was expected behavior, and it is still a war crime.

About time Russian G-2 went to spec savers so that they can recognize a military target instead of stacking up their war crimes.
You don't win a fight by hitting the defenceless civilians, didn't work against Russia so can't fathom why they continue wasting their ammunition in perpetrating war crimes that harden the resolve of the Ukrainians and make it easier for the rest of the world to be disgusted with them to the extent that the support for Ukraine grows by every act of dishonor by Russia. Was ever thus.

Henra: ???C'mon. I mean they might not be the brightest bulbs on the planet but they are ON SITE. If it was a boat they will find it PHYSICALLY. They will determine chemically what explosives have been used and how the bomb was designed. Guys, even if they are militarily failing in an epic way currently, Russia has flown to space and they still have quite good scientists. Let's not mistake them for Africa.
Absolutely, and they are very adept at making up evidence, well, if you forget the passports, military IDs' Nazi membership cards, from the recent cigarette lighter of Dugina, or the Salisbury clock alibi...

The Russians of course didn't get the Moscow apartment bombing report, done by Russians, for Russians, against Russians that was blamed on Chechnya, done so well. They didn't get the facts right for the shoot down of MI-017 by their teams in the donbas, that took others of an international investigation to get right.

P.S.: as of today, Russia is complaining that Ukraine conducted a terrorist act with the Crimea Bridge... Irony is apparently not a concept that translates into Russian. Its supposed to; Irony: ирония. Seems to be a color more than a concept related to causation. like "Goldy": золотой, Silvery: серебристый. But, the Hague confirms today that they are investigating 34,000 suspected war crimes committed by Russia since February 24 2022. That is getting to be a record. We should start a new wikipedia page on Russian criminal actions, the war crime volume. The dead deserve that at least.

Last edited by fdr; 9th Oct 2022 at 10:13. Reason: P.S.