PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 06:39
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
You still have not proven anything that seniority is a bad thing.

The problem is still those willing to accept substandard conditions just to fly planes, even more so to fly a jet. If you can't see the forest for the trees you will never be able to group up and get anywhere. Why are pilots starving in GA? Because they chose to, and in one day they can change that and do another job. If you don't understand that is purely a self centered ideal you are lost. The same push to become a pilot at all costs then means they take that ideal all the way through their career, this ruins it for pilots who want to just fly GA or regional turboprops as the operators continually have a stream of cheap labor "doing it for the love" or doing it "for the hours". Again if you don't understand this fundamental issue in Australian aviation then you are arguing at clouds. If pilots didn't use companies as experience building rungs and treated them as real jobs then they all would pay proper salaries. Oh, I'll work as an instructor to build hours, I've nop people skills and bugger all teaching knowledge but hey, I'll do it for next to free to get those hours....

Go dig holes.
Why when I'm earning $300K+ and just about to buy another boat. I'd rather spell out what the real issue is to the newcomers rather than just retire in peace.

If you ever sit next to a young FO and then lecture them about how 'self centered' they were for joining your airline, which in your view risks your super, you're an absolute ******. Don't like the increase of supply of pilots and the resulting downward pressure on pilot wages? Nobody is holding a gun to your head.
And this just really showed your self centered cold heart right there, so you are saying you wish downward pressure on our conditions? Nobody is holding a gun to my head as I've almost finished my career and have amassed the finances I need, my advice is trying to help the next gen achieve the same, it's not that hard. Again if you really wanted to change conditions you would work together as a group, both new and retiring to come to mutual agreements. The biggest thing you could do is push nationally for a limit to pilot CPLs issued each year on an industry advised level. Soon the path into airlines will almost purely via cadetships and whats left of GA will want to be there and conditions will improve, that will be past my tenure sadly.

I'll end with this, any increase or decrease in conditions will affect me very little, I'll be retired in the next 5-10 years max. So whether you want more or less is a decision you have to make, I'll vote for anything that makes life better for the next generation. But the next generation has to face reality and not want everything now at the cost the company wants. You build up conditions over years, you can smash them down overnight.

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Oct 2022 at 06:50.