PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2022, 00:46
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
You are arguing seniority doesn't work on a thread about jetstar, possibly the lowest paid to living costs operator in the world, who still get thousands of applicants and probably hire the most pilots in Australia. What does that say? If pilots had a choice they would still be stabbing each other in the back to climb the next rung.

I don't know what deluded economy you live in but what pilot is going to leave QF for VA or J* and move backwards to allow you to have a go at QF. And no one at QF is going to vote down seniority in our lifetime so I have no idea what your argument is. All that will happen is VA/Rex/J* pilots will jump around the lower end jobs and the top guys that have been there for ages will still be there. If the EBA is based on time in service you will be paid less as its time in position that pays more not seniority number, airlines would love this as you'd have a constant conga of guys jumping between airlines onto 1 year pay levels when they could have stuck around on 10 year pay. That alone means you have no idea how airline pay scales work. Tiger went without seniority for a while and you just end up with wild accusations of favoritism and boys clubs. You really have not worked in the real world to see what happens without a progression based system. All that happens is the top boys surround themselves with buddies and you have to lick arse to get anywhere. You still end up with hopeless candidates as they are based on friendships rather than time in service.

You can jump around in GA to other operators, but they all pay ****e relative to the work you do. I assume that's why you want to get into an airline otherwise who cares. If the free market worked so well in GA why is it still paying so poorly?

The only way you improve conditions is through unity, GA lacks this completely, so languishes in award land. Airline pilots have unions that set up what they want, or should, and only being united as a group will you get advancement.

PS I worked at an airline not long ago where they tried to make life hard for the 10+ year pilots so they would leave, as they wanted to keep the average pay scale of the pilot group below 5 years so they could save on crew costs. This is how airline management thinks, so all that experience and knowledge means nothing to them if it costs more, the more you do the job the more you figure that out. So how would you be marketing your skills when no airline wants skills, just pilots?

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Oct 2022 at 00:57.