PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2022, 18:08
petit plateau

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeBedie
Slow moving train stopped because the explosion happened and was able to stop quickly because it was going upgrade?
At least some of the tank-cars had fuel in them, in general it appeared full judging by the fire. This means it was most likely heading NW into the Crimea immediately before the deep water bridge section. From what I can see online the causeway section at that point is very gently sloping upwards.(SE>NW) but it is a gentle incline. I still haven't seen anything definitive re whether a locomotive was attached when the explosion occurred.

I'm not sure how much damage there really is to the rail bridge structure. For sure all the ancilliary walkways are toast, and cable runs too. But I don't think one can extrapolate from that to the reinorced concrete itself. It is one thing being a lump of concrete above a blaze. It is quite another being a lump of concrete underneath a blazing puddle where by definition the puddle bottom is still cool enough to be a liquid.(A candle does not disintegrate just because there is a molten pool on its top). The rails etc probably aren't in good shape either. But it is the structure that is the real issue and we have nothing much to base an opinion on apart from some soot stains.

(I think I got my N and S muddled this morning, not that it mattered. Apologies. It is not obvious which direct any bomb-boat would have approached from, both are possible ... )