PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kerch Bridge Thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2022, 11:03
petit plateau

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Usertim
And where would you put the crane? or take the kinks out ?

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/s...111680/photo/1

I have no idea how Kerch bridge was built but I imagine something like this great timelapse video . https://youtu.be/vKGYs71N72c
Measured on google earth , in that part of the bridge the spans seem to be 60 meters. Losing 180 meters of span is not 'insignificant' even if they happen to have 3 premade spans lying around somewhere.

Now given that kind of method it is interesting that that the section so close to the incline was broken , no doubt that makes reconstruction technically somewhat more difficult.
Yes they are doing something similar just down the road from me at present. (I'm not currently in UK ) They cast them on a piece of road and pre-tension the cable reinforcements as the concrete cures. No idea what the setting time is, they do it months in advance here as a down-time job. Then in this case they are lifting using high cranes rather than that extending hoist widget you've proposed which is generally used on TGV rail builds.

I think they used barge-mounted cranes for the original Kerch build (I vaguely remember seeing some photos), but winter is coming on. They do have some jack-ups in the area and they are less weather dependent. But the simplest is to work from the existing remaining structure - all the piers are still in place. The adjacent roadway is in place. So just (!) place cranes onto the existing piers on the adjacent roadway. Then lift. After dumping the debris into the water. They will be taking all sorts of safety short cuts for a repair and for usage. Don't misunderstand me - I would like it to be very difficult, go disastrosly wrong, and not to restore the usability any time soon, and that the conflict will be over before then. I would also like Ukraine to get to within HIMARs range soon. But in the meantime the good news is that any repair efforts will likely badly affect the other carriageway. Only possible way around it all is just to float a load of barges into place with a floating roadbed in the gaps as a interim lash-up - hopefully weather/tide/current make that non-viable this winter.