PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2022, 05:19
43Inches

Received 413 Likes on 229 Posts
Have you done this within in the last 20 years?? I've been flying for 20+ and I would still be looking for a single job on a community if I took that kind of stance. Every single operator wanted me to have both the experience and the endorsement. That's everyone from single engine charter operators through to regional and jet airlines.
Started flying about 30 years ago and have worked for the last 25+ with regular work at a few different employers. Getting pilot jobs is as much networking as it is gathering experience, aim for a certain job and you will get it. Although when your preferred employers go broke it doesn't help. And I quickly learned the the allure of a shiny jet to a young one can be overwhelming, I don't blame the young pilots for wanting to get into one asap, but the airlines are taking advantage of your naivety. I've seen young guys in the last 20 years get into QF mainline under 25 years old after pestering mainline HR for their whole existence. Plan your path using knowledge gained by networking and asking questions and you can skip the **** operators all together. If you sit back and wait for the work, or want the easy path that doesn't require a bit of social interaction then sure, got the easy route and pay for it all yourself. But that attitude only lessens how the company you work for treats you, as they see you as some form of mug rather than a valued employee.

I've helped a few get jobs at airlines, through references and passing comment to HR that this person is reliable and won't waste your time etc etc. If you want to jump the ques, get to know who you have to talk to that will get your resume looked at, and will say a few good things to get you a look in. And its been said a million times, but aviation is a Tiny industry, getting on the wrong side of one person will cost you advancement, I know several pilots that are black banned at various operators due to their conduct. And HR/operational staff do call each other and ask questions even if you don't put them down as referee. Why did X pilot leave you and not put you down as a reference? type questions.

PS if you are banned they wont say it, you just won't get time of day.