PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 6th Oct 2022, 20:02
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
One variant of "interesting" is regular over-flyers. There's a cargo Saab 340 that comes overhead Central London (and me) every night doing Karlsruhe to Dublin and back, outwards at about midnight and returning around 4am. Quite audible inside the house, and you tend to recognise an old friend.

First out of London City when it opens each morning is currently a Luxair Dash-8, and how up to time it is as I hear it pass governs how I, and thus the rest of the house, get up. Sometimes one of the Embraers gets there first. When the A318 used to come from New York it was one of the few aircraft landing at LCY which did reverse thrust, which carried over the distant rooftops. Same time, different noise, same purpose.

1990s, and I commonly visited the Wirral at the weekend. About the last regular big piston flight in Europe was the Air Atlantic DC-6B which took the Sunday newspapers from Manchester to Dublin, it came unpressurised across the WAL VOR at about 5,000 feet pretty much to the minute at about 9.30pm Saturday night. Normally just lights, but I always went outside to see it pass. Depending on its next contract, sometimes it came back the same way in the middle of the night, if so always woke me up.