PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JP Low Level Sqn at Finningley
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2022, 18:48
OJ 72

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts
Intrigued by the query of what type of JPs were operated on LLADTS I checked my logbook - I was a stude on 362 ANC between Feb 88 - Jul 89. I see that I was on 'Basic JPs' on LLADTS between 3 Nov - 21 Dec 88 - I finished 'Basic FNT' the afternoon of Lockerbie! - and again on 'Advanced JPs' between 23 May - 29 Jun 89. I flew 40 sorties in total ('Inky Swot' -no reflies!!! ) and this was broken down as 28 in the JP5, six in the JP5A and six in the JP5B. Interestingly all of the JP5B sorties were on 'Advanced JPs - twice in the AD Phase and three times in the SA Phase.

And indeed LLADTs was staffed by characters - I saw that Bill Brandie and 'Tommy' got a mention, and I see that I flew with them both. But the one I recall mainly with trepidation (and strangely a lot of professional affection) was John Abell aka 'Johnny Abdul' (Paula Abdul was big at the time - 'da yoof' please Google her!!!). To paraphrase Stravinsky on Rachmaninov - 'Johhny Abdul was six foot two of English gloom', but he had a heart of gold!