PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan To Fly Again
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2004, 07:45
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulcan Mk2 to Fly Again

Great to hear.
From someone who has lots of time in both Mk1s and 2s I hope someone with experience gets to sit in the left seat.

Was a TP at Boscombe Down in the late 50s and became Chief of Flight Test on Vulcans for a year +. Mostly Mk 1s doing weapon carriage and release trials with some handling and NBS systems as well.

Flew 90+ types including F-111 and the Vulcan became one of my favourites. Flew the other Vs also but preferred Vulcan to Victor.

Service clearance for Vulcan Mk1 was to Mach 0.98 and 380 Kts IAS but we flew them out to 415 Kts max. At Mach 0.98 there was not much up elevator left due to increasing nose down pitch above Mach 0.88.

Am now aged 77 but could readily climb back into a Vulcan and call my abbreviated check list before brakes release "Fuel, Noise, Let's Go."

Just loved flying the Vulcan and most aerobatics not involving negative g were readily executed as good rates of roll available and stick forces nicely harmonised to a fighter type stick.

Survived an airborne failure of a main wing spar in a Valiant so very sensitive to structural strengths in aircraft. No problems anticipated with low g display manoeuvres with the surviving Vulcan.