PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2022, 09:56
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
So you’re comparing the rest of the world, or even the US with simply a couple of Atlas bid packets?

There’s a whole lot more out there than Atlas.
There is, but Atlas was being touted on these forums as a much better option than mainline so much so that a lot of S/Os were jumping ship. They may regret it looking at those rosters but there may be advantages for them as well.

There’s always been a plethora of overseas opportunities, the Middle East carriers have been enticing with the opportunity for fast widebody commands and a large route network but working in the ME has real challenges too, and fatigue is also a commonly cited factor.

Asian contracts should start up again soon, again with positives and negatives.

But this isn’t a new thing. Some pilots got start dates or started with mainline 10, 20, 30 odd years ago. But then resigned to go elsewhere for whatever reason. I know of a few who went to Cathay, apparently some to ME carriers too. Better prospects of promotion or pay or other reasons. But they were a minority. Almost all who took LWOP in the last 10 years have returned or are planning to return, very few resigned.

Point being I don’t think Mainline is going to have an issue with large numbers of new hires not showing up on day one because they’ve jumped ship to go to Atlas or elsewhere.