PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan tried to escape from Wellesbourne, 16th Sept 2022
Old 18th Sep 2022, 00:35
Specaircrew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
I recall the saga of 'Roadrunner 1' in around 1978....

A Waddington squadron's aircraft had been snagged for excessive nosewheel shimmy, which the engineers then repaired. However, it was necessary to check that the problem had been fixed by conducting a fast run on the RW, to around 90KIAS.

"Any one free to do a taxy check please?" asked the engineers. Whereupon a recent ICC graduate co-pilot said that he was, grabbed an unsuspecting AEO and went to the jet. All went OK during start up, but realising that they didn't have a call-sign, he announced that he was 'Roadrunner 1' for a taxy check. ATC cleared him; there was no Duty Pilot in the tower as no Waddo aircraft were within 100nm, so off our hero went....

Roaring down the into wind RW, all was well - the engineers had indeed fixed the snag. "Better do another run just to be sure", announced the pilot and thundered off downwind. Again all went well - until he tried to stop! The brakes had more or less had enough as they were so hot, so 'Roadrunner 1' trundled off the end of the RW and onto the grass just short of the A15.
Spookily I was just recounting this very story to my ex USAF brother in law after he pointed the story out on t’internet! Whatever happened to Frank?🤣

Last edited by Specaircrew; 18th Sep 2022 at 00:47.