PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 14th Sep 2022, 14:35
ZebraFlyer

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by umop apisdn
For anyone in the US already, how hard are you working at getting back home?

I realize that aviation here is way better in almost every way, and that legacy employment blows away QF and JQ pretty substantially, but I'm still really struggling with the idea of living here forever, even though that is my future as of this moment.

Has anyone made a play at QF or JQ?

Would it be worth it to leave a legacy and take the huge pay cut with it, if it meant that you didn't have to deal with all the BS that the USA presents on a daily basis?
As someone very very very close to permanently going the opposite direction from one of the airlines you are considering making a play at.. maybe the BS is just everywhere?

Make the most of it while you can. Do a pros and cons list. Think long term about your goals. Where do you want to be/want to be flying/how much want to be making etc etc. Consider in years terms how much USA BS you are willing to put up with and for how long to get ahead. e.g., "If I do 10 years there I am financially in the same place as 20 years here after."

Also if you're able, make sure you've saved enough to buy or have a hefty deposit on a joint you actually want to live in in Australia - you'll probably struggle to buy somewhere half decent in one of the cities for a long long time after returning.