PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook ZA672 crash in 1988
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 20:10
capt tosspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyPilot
I recently met a (now rather old) German civilian who witnessed this accident from close quarters. I had heard of it before, but just now read the BOI.

My main thoughts/questions are:
- salient lesson to all, in the huge inertia possessed in heavy helo (esp. Chinook) turbine/transmission systems
- the old BOI system and its focus on blame seems rather old-fashioned and out of step with current notions of safety best practice in aviation - I'm glad it has been modernised
- the Stn Cdr proposed to take a sympathetic line with the Captain, however he was overruled. Does anyone know what became of him? Did he recover fully from his injuries?

Lastly, and most importantly, what a terribly sad loss of young life. May they rest in peace.
- There were 3 marshallers out front plus a crewman. The polaroid sunglasses they wore (they were looking into the sinking sun at the time) made it almost impossible to clearly see the LH side of the rotor disc. The front disc actually passed below the walkway but about a metre into it. Thus, the marshallers and crew looking out the LH side probably thought all was clear. The rear rotor (higher than front) then hit and all hell broke loose. The Captain managed to stay conscious and despite only having use of his right hand (due to burning left side) freed himself of the harness and jettisoned the RH pilots door - although it did need a firm smack with his elbow. He then fell onto the remains of the airbridge which then collapsed and he fell a further 20' onto burning oil. Fortunately the German RFFS were spot on and banged him full of morphine and chucked water over the burning bits. After a few weeks in the burns unit at Hannover and a stay in the military hospital at Hameln the Captain was posted to HSU while the BOI went on. He left in Feb 89 (Short Service time up) got CAA FW and rotary licences and flew Citation + Helos for a millionaire in S Ireland, then was trial pilot at Police unit in Northumbria, becoming Chief Pilot / TRE/TRI at the largest Unit outside of the Met - NEASU - flying police AS355, 135 and BN2 Islander. After 14 yrs was headhunted to start air ambulance operations in Northumbria, Cumbria and Teesside flying BO105, 355, and 365N. Subsequently trained police pilots and crews in the UAE on Bell 412 and then spent 6 yrs setting up AOC operation on the Black Sea dealing in oil and gas using Bell 429, AW139 and H155s. Now happily retired, but always remembering the lovely friends he lost that day.