PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Army Grounds Entire Fleet of Chinook Helicopters
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 02:02
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
If it is in fact O-Rings....the fix will be quick.

In days of old....the Army Supply system used to provide the next higher level part should what you were requesting was out of stock....odd as it sounds....for some simple O-Rings for a fuel line connection on the Engine Fuel Control....that next higher part was the Fuel Control Unit itself.

That meant if the Unit Supply Officer was a cagey fellow....he would submit a series of Request Chits for those O-Rings until a Fuel Control Unit arrived....and arrived...and arrived.

That way the Aviation Tech Supply stockage for the unit had plenty of spares on hand.

That upset the system....and created a black market system of horse trading between Units that held overages in certain important items beyond what they were authorized to hold in their Unit Stores.
SAS, reading that post I kept having visions of the Don Rickles character in "Kelly's Heros"
I've never been in the military (would have gone to college as Air Force ROTC Pilots Training, but failed the physical for questionable reasons), but I've long suspected that "Crapgame" was a lot closer to reality than most (non-military) people realized.

BTW, having been responsible for fuel control units for much of my career, for something so simple, O-rings are incredibly complex. Getting the ring material right is critical to proper O-ring performance.