PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 lost west of Brisbane Monday 29-8-22
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 01:46
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Beryllium Erbium
Sounds like you're ready for a PIR KRviator. Find a place that will train you in your own aircraft, there are a few that are not afraid of RV's.
I have thought about the PIFR but the RV's not yet equipped, BE. I did my BFR a few days ago with the CFI in the RV and he was thoroughly impressed with the integration and information available on the Dynon's, from the colour-coded high terrain on the SynVis down to the geo-referenced OzRunways charts to the WiFi flight plan transfer on-the-fly (pardon the horrible pun here).
Originally Posted by Piper Cameron
Don't neglect the Startle Factor. If you're scud-running (as some have suggested this guy might have been), it really doesn't matter what gadgetry the aircraft is fitted with nor your knowledge of your systems nor how current (or otherwise) your instrument rating may be - SA is king and the key to your survival will be how fast you admit to yourself that you're now in the soup and mentally get yourself inside the aircraft and keep flying it.
Nailed it, PC.

That realization and admission of "Oh ****, oh ****, I've stuffed up and now it's real" is a big thing. Denial will kill you. Once you admit to yourself you've done the "VFR into IMC" mistake, you're spot on about your chances of survival. The more you procrastinate about that decision in deteriorating weather, the less time you have to get stable on instruments while you can and start climbing straight ahead to get some terrain clearance and help from ATC.

In part, that's why I've done the practice with my system, to (hopefully) convince me to make that call early in the piece, because I know what I have and what it can do to keep me alive. I often wonder about why many pilots appear fearful of admitting they've made this error - ATC have checklists specifically for VFR-into-IMC and will always go above and beyond to get you home in one piece if you tell 'em!