PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Army Grounds Entire Fleet of Chinook Helicopters
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 01:07
SASless

Received 467 Likes on 191 Posts
During Cambodia....we way overflew our ability to keep up maintenance wise....at one point we could only put up four of sixteen Chinooks with other held. on Recovery Standby.....and Firebucket Standby cancelled.

For a while the Bad Guys were breaking them for us quick as we could get another one up.

I maintain no Unit that could pass a CMMI Readiness Inspection could ever do well in Combat.

'When an aircraft went down....crashed...and was declared a total loss....it was simply amazing what was supposed to have been inside it and needed to be written off as combat losses....desks, typewriters, toolboxes, ground power units.....you name it.

The funny thing about Tool Boxes issued to the Engineers is the Tool Box itself was a reportable item....but the hand tools inside it were not.....they were disposable.

I built up a pretty nice collection of tools as I kept all the spanners and other tools I found during a Preflight Inspection following Engineering telling me the aircraft was "Ready to Go" on the Post Maintenance Test Flight and presented me the Logbook with all the proper sing-offs completed.