PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2022, 13:48
Planeraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
One thought, if EDI did get a JetBlue service to JFK or BOS, do you think it would be net new traffic? What we tend to see is new entrants can upset the balance in market. United's impressive 3 x daily operation might drop one of EWR/IAD/ORD or Delta's JFK/BOS would consolidate to one. So you might still have three carriers but with roughly the same overall capacity. An A321 operation may even be the optimum year round JFK-EDI machine for business though? And would a JetBlue announcement kill an American return? A summer AA/B6/DL/UA and AC/WS operation would be quite something....
I did read elsewhere that Westjet were re-trenching to Calgary and even YYZ-LGW has been dropped, so good news if the seasonal B737 service is continuing.
I think you make a good point about JetBlue just getting a slice of the pie should they take a punt at EDI. It wouldn’t be a new market. They don’t hide that their intention is to ruffle a few feathers and disrupt the dominance of the big 3 in the US. A new market for EDI, in my opinion, would be a west coast route. Will this happen? Who knows. One factor that perhaps is an advantage to EDI in the current travel climate is the number of direct routes from the US. Avoiding the need to transit at LHR. It would be good to learn if the number of transit pax via LHR has dropped or increased. AA clearly rely and benefit from One World code share with BA for pax travelling to Scotland. Should either leave the alliance, would this impact on direct routes to EDI? Would they continue to code share regardless?