PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2022, 13:14
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark J Bowcock
Theres seems to be a lot of I think this and I think that statements in your responses. Virgin flew to Boston 3/4 times a week on an A330 and it was due to come back daily on Delta b4 covid struck! So I think there’ is demand for it tbh! United was due to be upgraded to a 767300 again b4 covid! Perhaps seeing you live in London you should really dedicate your time to LGW who kind of lost most of its long haul traffic! Didn’t Virgin pull out but kept Manchester.
I'm afraid Rutan16 is correct. The economic environment now and for the foreseeable future is not what it was pre-covid. With energy costs soaring and the impact of inflation generally not being nullified by pay increases, disposable income for many people will not be enough for expensive holidays, particularly to the US. Who remembers the days not all that many years ago when you could buy US dollars at $1.60 to the pound? With the pound currently at $1.17, for leisure travellers that is surely going to reflect in the price of airfares, accommodation & food in the US as well as visits to theme parks and other attractions. For those determined to go there, it's possible they may be prepared to trade down, flying economy rather than premium perhaps, staying in more modest motels and eating in less expensive restaurants. The prospects for business travel is also uncertain even though MAN does seem to attract rather more premium passengers than it once did. Even relatively comfortable retired folk who have enjoyed long haul holidays will not be immune from inflationary pressures and may think twice. The Canaries maybe instead of California.

With current exchange rates, it might be thought that we could see a boost in Americans coming over here, but the US has its own problems and in any case those who do fly tend mainly to use Heathrow unfortunately.

I'd be delighted if United did return in 2023 and would like to see flights to LAX and SFO from MAN again soon. But one has to be realistic. For some airlines, survival will be the name of the game, and for others only flying to places with little risk and a good chance of a decent yield.

I should add that the situation going east looks more hopeful. Emirates are back to 3 x A380 this winter, Hainan returning albeit with a modest frequency and Cathay gradually increasing flights. Fingers crossed those flights perform well.