PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner not happy with ATSB
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2022, 03:39
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
Aaaahhh, Tasmania, on a good day it's Gods own, on a bad day it's Hell, except for the temperature. I'm afraid the young Lady died of her own hand, in as much as pressing on into weather, anyone who has flown in the place will have their story of trying to operate in VMC. Used to regularly fly Hobart to Melaluca, a strip just south of Bathurst Harbour, very rarely went direct, only once that I recall in fact, always tracked down the east coast, then along the south to destination. Once had to do a semi circumnavigation of the state to get from Strahan to Hobart, up the west coast, along the north to Launceston, down the valley to Hobart. Refueling at Queenstown one day and a Cessna single landed with two lads and girlfriends with shrubbery hanging, from Hobart and had got caught in a valley, hit the trees on climb out, aircraft undamaged, though their psyche must have taken a hit. Did a lot of work with survey teams, land on top of a mountain in clear weather then have to pack up and make a run for the aircraft when a cloud cap suddenly formed, hovering down the side of the mountain with eyeballs on stalks until getting VMC. Glad to leave the place, only because of the flying risks that were difficult to outflank.

Once took a week to wait out weather before we could get into the high country south west of Cradle Mountain to rescue a climber with a broke back. Closest we could land was about a mile away and carried him on a stretcher, flying home I found myself covered in blood, leeches had snuck in everywhere.

Last edited by megan; 26th Aug 2022 at 03:51.