PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2022, 02:41
DARKMAIZE

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chopz
Hi folks,

So I have read what feels like a million posts trying to determine what the best flight schools are in the Melbourne/ Vic area.

They have all meshed into some sort of abstract art in my head and unfortunately some of the posts are older and no longer relevant.

Could someone shed some light on schools that offer Vet Fee-Help for CPL Diploma courses? The current options seem to be Learn to Fly, RVAC and AAPA. We then have the degree options with RMIT, Swinburne (CAE) and CQU (MFS). Learn to Fly seem to have a good program and a new partnership with Griffith University but some older posts have not exactly rated them highly. Anyone recently experienced these schools and have any thoughts?
Hi Chopz,

TVSA at Bacchus Marsh also offer a VET level diploma course.
I have recently started private training with them and have enjoyed the experience thus far, not having experienced any issues (other than occasional cancellation due to weather or illness with me wanting to keep the same instructor).
The team have been friendly and supportive.
My history was that I originally took lessons when I was 16 and got to my first solo, but that was back in 1996 (a lifetime ago, and I've done nothing but Microsoft flying since).
As I have been progressing, the instructors have monitored my ability and do not seem interested in required me to spend extra hours once having demonstrated competence to a required lesson criteria.

Compared to my previous experience which was at Archerfield with RQAC (now defunct I believe), one thing I have noticed is the lack of time spent traversing from startup to the training area, as the runway is right there and the airfield is in the training area.
Less time idling around means more time practicing lesson skills.
I think that's an advantage of undertaking it at a school that is not based in a controlled airspace.
Of course, controlled airspace has other advantages, but there is plenty of time for that.

Best of luck with your endeavours.