PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2022, 02:29
Charizard90

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qantas331
Hi all,
I'm currently a Yr 12 HSC student in North Sydney wishing to have a career in aviation. I don't plan on going down the uni route, instead of going through an integrated course like that offered at Basair (YSBK) and others and eventually finishing with a commercial multi. From what I've read, however, the VET FEE programs can have some pitfalls alongside the general shambles of the industry in Australia at the moment from the impossibility of having any prospect of a job as a freshly popped wet CPL, I don't want to dive headfirst into the school and be subject to crippling debt.

I do have an advantage however in that I have dual citizenship (AU and US) and have family over there. I've also seen a few random threads mentioning US regionals wanting overseas pilots to join on the E-3 program and FAA license conversion. While that seems promising, I'm aware of the state of the wages and the onslaught of working in US regionals.

On the whole, I just want to know if it is worthwhile to wait for a period while the situation recovers here, and generate savings to contribute towards the commercial multi rating and eventually start some form of work in Oz, and do I have more realistic career prospects and opportunities in the US?

I'm well aware of the brutal and competitive nature of the aviation industry and its current shambles. I also understand the risks associated with a commitment to a future in it, and that is not a short process, and I can't expect any opportunities straight away. I do have other plans if it ends up not working out beforehand. However, I feel that an opportunity is still present in my ability to work in the US and the fact I will still be a reasonable age within a few years while the industry recovers somewhat to find occupation.

Any perspectives are appreciated

Thanks
Sent you a PM