PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian asleep
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 15:27
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p7lot
Well this idiot is still saying falling asleep whatever the reason is unacceptable the rest is semantics
Sure. And pilots shouldn't crash perfectly good aircraft into the ground, yet here we are....

When did you retire? It's obvious that you've haven't quite experienced the 'limits as targets' lifestyle that airline flying has become. Day 6 of 6 on leg 4 of 4 at the end of a 100 hour month? I've done those hours, and those pairings. And whilst it was a high, it wasn't that much higher than the average I'd done for the last six months (85-95 hrs per calendar month). You can preach on about 'UNFORGIVABLE!!!111!' as much as you like, but true professionals might want to take tiny little looky-loo at possible causes before they go all high and mighty. That is, like it or not, how aviation has actually advanced. You're basically saying both the crew intended to fall asleep and overfly their destination? Or did they not intend that? If not, why did it still happen? Did they not try and stay awake hard enough? So.....we could just 'try harder' next time, that's really going to be your final answer? Sure you weren't in management at some point? I'm not ruling out blatant dereliction of duty, but I would advocate for taking a closer look. Fatigue is hard to combat, both from a practical perspective, AND ESPECIALLY from a managerial and regulatory perspective.

Frankly, it's only the professionalism of the crew that keeps them awake with some of these ridiculous rostering practices......and of course 'we value safety as our number on priority, and all operations are according to the strictest standards etc etc bla bla'. Meanwhile, back at rostering....

Like I've said before - the planes are so good now that they don't crash enough to keep airline managers honest anymore. Which is why we see some of these ridiculous causes and incidents now.

/rant