PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application 2022
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 06:25
AIMINGHIGH123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe
Nobody can ever tell me that Easyjet Jet2 and BA did to their staff what Emirates did to theirs .

You would expect this type of thing to really put guys off and I think really, for the most part, most have been put off.

There’s always going to be a couple who have had enough of the rain or tax, or simply sick of the wife and want a new girlfriend with a red hat from a different part of the world etc.

Emirates hasn’t really held the same significance in the pilot recruitment market for the last 10 years.

Yes they didn’t fire as many people as EK. Look at BA though? They got this new Delta 8-10% pay cut and have no idea how long it will last. Years and years. The new Euroflyer contract for FO out of LGW is £49k a year. Easyjet financially not looking as rosy as it was pre COVID. Jet2 doing well and rewarded employees, however. BA are the only ones you mention offering the possibility of LH. Talking on the line and with others, many want to scratch the LH itch to see if they like it. Why join BA with a maybe in 5 years time of trying that? BA have made it clear seniority is not what it was. If you’re on the wrong fleet you will be made redundant that’s the fear at BA now.
Other reality is young SH captains say in 30s are saying is this it for the next 30 years?
So then it comes down to money. How can I get a nest egg to get out quicker and ME is the only place now. Pound is so weak with housing allowance it’s £9-£10k a month as FO at EK. China option is closed so people willing to roll the dice at EK. You are almost doubling your pay. I have compared a few months of 777 EK rosters with BA 777, with BA being under 8 years in company and honestly not as much in it as you would expect. I haven’t seen any but from what I have been told 10 years at BA then you start getting a better roster. Unless you go for command after 15 years then drop down the list again.
When you add everything up that’s happening in the UK and at UK companies coupled with COVID IMO many in aviation have been hit with the is it worth it question? Colleagues left the industry and seem happier now. Some too scared to leave the industry and don’t want to do another 20-30 years either flying or just SH think how can I try something different and get money quick. ME.

That’s the reality from the UK now. To you at EK it might seem mad but people want to try it.