PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 19:17
Nige321

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hill's factory ambitions may have hit a bump in the road...

Dozens of residents have objected to plans for a helicopter factory in rural North Staffordshire. Hill Helicopters, set up to create luxury private aircraft, is seeking a manufacturing site and headquarters and has set its sights on land at Blythe Park in Cresswell.

Permission has already been granted for industrial, storage and residential development on the wider Sandon Road site. But the latest application, submitted to Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, has received more than 65 objections so far.

Concerned residents include many living across the district border in Stafford Borough, who are worried about the potential impact on areas such as Fulford. They have also hit out at the consultation process.

Helen Smith, of Sandon Road, Cresswell, said: “I am deeply disappointed in the council and their communication on this matter, it’s a disgrace. Why has the application not been delivered through our doors?

“This will impact on residents who are so very close to the proposed area, changing the hamlet from a quiet place to a horror story for older residence and others alike. This will also impact on the wildlife; we have an abundance of rare birds and creatures (and) this will impact on their environment as well as local stables, livery and anyone who has livestock as the location is based in rural surroundings - test flights will terrify horses, cattle, sheep and wildlife.”

Ramzi and Jane Hashem, of Fulford Road, Fulford, said there had been insufficient public consultation. They added: “Although we do not live in Creswell, we will be similarly affected by this development where we live, less than two miles away.

“Creswell and the surrounding villages are quiet country/rural residential areas. With a manufacturing capacity of 250 units per year ultimately rising up to 1000 units per year, and each unit requiring up to 30 take offs/landing for testing and type rating, this equates to 20 to 80 take offs or landing per day, 365 days per year.

“Added to that there will be additional take offs/landings for service, customer arrivals and departures in their own craft and no doubt customer trials in demonstrator flights as they consider their potential purchase. The noise pollution generated by this level of activity will be little different to living in the vicinity of an airport.”

Carol Holdcroft, of Green Park, Fulford, said: “Cresswell is a small rural hamlet in the Staffordshire countryside, with approximately 140 dwellings. Staffordshire Moorlands DC has approved a further 157 dwellings.

“The proposal to build a helicopter manufacturing factory in close proximity to all these residences is clearly inappropriate. The fact that the proposal includes airfield provision for the testing and maintenance of helicopters, with attendant noise, vibration, and pollution renders the proposal absolutely unacceptable.

“The traffic problem in Cresswell has been acute for many years, and the additional commercial traffic generated by this proposal, together with the planned eventual parking for up to 490 cars would greatly worsen that situation. I am also concerned about the inherent dangers in the need to store large quantities of highly volatile aviation fuel.

“This proposal is an intolerable imposition on the local population and severely threatens their human rights to enjoy their properties in peace and safety. The local planning authority, Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, has a duty to protect the quality of life and safety of its residents.”

But there has been support for the plans too. Jennifer Walker, of Saverley Green said: “I very much look forward to seeing this innovative business extending to be based locally.

“As a helicopter family we know the pleasure we take from flying. I believe residents are worried about noise and also business of our roads and I’m sure Hills will take all of this into consideration and think about noise abatement and operating hours.

“Our residents need to consider the increase in local revenue and the employment opportunities that will arise. I for one, will be for this application and look forward to seeing the end product flying high in our local area.”