PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watsonville midair
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2022, 23:15
421dog

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by biscuit74
From the limited information available so far, the 152 pilot was a student pilot on an early solo. He was flying a circuit and almost certainly had no idea that the 340 was closing at such speed. The impression I have is that he continued onto finals, to follow his normal taught practice until it became obvious the other aircraft was closing rapidly. The 340 had announced its intention of doing a straight in when it was some distance away - 10 miles out - and appears to have held its speed right up to the accident point, which was just shy of the approach end of the runway.
If those figures are correct the 340 was still well above normal approach speed at impact point- around twice normal, so I'm not sure how its pilot intended to land off such an arrival.

This rather sounds as though the 340 driver completely lost situational awareness and had fixated on his approach path, even forgetting his need to slow down. The inexperienced student pilot did decide to go around, regrettably too late, but just in time to collect the overtaking 340.

Perhaps US rules are different. Straight in approaches put the onus for good clearance on the pilot doing the straight in - he/she needs to be sure the circuit and approach is clear. If in doubt, convert to a normal field arrival on the dead side and enter a circuit. (After all, there may be nonradio traffic around - or failed radio traffic)

Student pilots are on high workload just flying safely at first, so while I'd have hoped to see a low time pilot in this circumstance take positive action earlier, say orbit on base to remain clear of the potential conflict, what he did made sense within his likely awareness. (Who expects an aircraft rushing in at twice normal approach speed ?)

Horrible accident, with some sadly familiar old lessons.

this…
it’s on the guy not entering in a standard manner.