PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laker Airways IT and charter
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2022, 12:08
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
IWife and I flew on a package holiday to Athens with Laker- not sure why as both had BA staff travel options me dependent her employee. Going out was fine although I though LGW-Athens a bit of a stretch for a 1-11 . Coming back a different story , we ahd already had to have an overnight stop due toa starter shaft breaking the previous day ( very audible in the cabin) . . I no longer recall how high we were flying but the captain commented that we were climbing higher than initial crise. Part of the charter was Saga so lots of pensioners and just after the second climb a substantial number of older pax suffered breathing difficulties and the cabin crew were running around with portable O2 bottles. All seemed very odd to me being almost entirely BA or Euro flag carriers experience and it was only in recent years I read on hear about 'inventive range extensions' on Laker. I know they had a bit of a reputation for sailing close to the wind but I would have to say they sorted out our unplanned extra night very quickly and efficiently at an airport hotel but in hundreds of thousands of miles since then I have never again come across multiple pax starting to pass out or gasping desperately like that trip. Our next door neighbour had the misfortune of being with both Eagle and Laker when they went broke , but ended up with Dan Dare for remainder of his career.

PB