PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-3
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 18:21
pug

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by G-FORZ
I’m only alluding to the fact that Jet 2 are largely responsible for making LBA a success in the same way Ryanair have made STN a success.
All the launch blurb at DSA cited targets of 3m passengers, yet Peel have been unable or unwilling to incentivise the airlines that would give them the product to meet those numbers. When they have attracted other airlines they have been of the type that expect everyone to know they are there, without marketing, and have been less than consistent or reliable with all the expected results. Contrast this with Jet2 who have rammed Jess Glynn down peoples throats until they book a flight or holiday to the point now they don’t need to because they are well respected for their product and value and people will travel to LBA from the whole region to take one of their flights. DSA will only be as good as the airlines that serve it but I do see it has the potential to outserve all other airports in the Yorkshire area.
Right, so you’re blaming jet2 for not realising the potential of DSA, but also Peel for not ‘incentivising’ enough..?

Handling and landing charges will be subject to commercial sensitivity so nobody except the airport management/development and relevant people in the respective airlines know what is/isn’t happening on that front. Advertising is also usually a combined effort, and I saw adverts for easyjet and FlyBe everywhere when they were operating from DSA, so that doesn’t wash. Agreements are most likely subject to a minimum passenger throughput to qualify for rebates and/or lower charges. Suspect this may be why Wizzair pulled their base.

Somebody on another forum calculated the cost per head to DSA of each passenger using the airport in 2019, it was discovered that it cost DSA/Peel £1.73 for each passenger using the airport. Caveat being that doesn’t account for the other aviation business on site. However, with that in mind at what point (I.e how many passengers are required) do the costs become offset and that turn into a positive figure?