PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier GR.5 - A&AEE & SAOEU questions
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 12:20
JSF-TC

Received 59 Likes on 3 Posts
Memories. I worked at Dunsfold in Flight Test for 11 happy years from 1988 to 1999, starting as an undergrad doing my 6 months sandwich course industry placement.

The GR5 Rough Ground Trials was one of my first projects as an undergrad. Happy days measuring the CBR of the Boscombe grass strip and driving over Depford Downs in a Land Rover for a site survey (while being chased by a Gazelle), and doing the initial trials over a calibrated bump specially laid and surveyed on the side of Rnwy 17/35 at BDN measuring landing gear loads to tune the gear model and predictions before the actual grass phase started. Heinz Frick was the pilot for that phase.

I left to go back for my final year before the Boscombe and Depford Down grass phases started, so didn't see it all the way through. I recall that they also went to the woods and tin strip at Wittering for a ground handling/ compatibility evaluation as well.

4 ship trials, 15 months at Eglin and the VAAC Harrier are other highlights of that wonderful period, before I moved to the US, as happy Dunsfold was winding down in 1999. Plenty of other highlights to add since.

Based on the other comments, I'm sure we all know each other and have worked together over the years, although I can't place real names/ faces to the forum names.

Best Regards to all.