PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheels-Up at Leongatha
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:31
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by wombat watcher
“I was recently among a number of people who assisted a pilot after an apparent ‘wheels up’ landing at a place that will remain nameless. After asking the pilot a number of questions to help me to confirm the pilot was not injured, I assured the pilot that I would not be posting any details or photos of the aircraft on PPRuNe. “

1. Apparent….were the wheels up or down?
2. I ‘ll bet that the pilot, in his/ her moment of distress was very pleased about not being posted on PPrune. Did you ask the person if they knew what PPrune was? Was it before or after you gave them the Valium to calm them down?
Thanks for helping me make my point, WW (perhaps inadvertently?).

The fact that an aircraft is found with its wheels up on a runway does not mean it approached and landed with the wheels up. An aircraft can touch down with the dunlops drooped but that does not mean they’ll definitely stay there.

A pilot who’s just been involved in an event that resulted in substantial damage to an aircraft is not helped by photos of the outcome being published, resulting in the inevitable conclusion - even by apparent ‘experts’ - that the outcome was the result of pilot error. I’m trying to get other pilots like PC to reflect on whether that’s a good thing to ‘feed’.