PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheels-Up at Leongatha
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 09:15
Lead Balloon

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
As you’re a ‘newbie’, PC, I’d ask you to reflect on whether you’d appreciate photos being taken and published by another pilot if you’d been in the left seat of UOV as it came to a scraping rest on that runway.

I was recently among a number of people who assisted a pilot after an apparent ‘wheels up’ landing at a place that will remain nameless. After asking the pilot a number of questions to help me to confirm the pilot was not injured, I assured the pilot that I would not be posting any details or photos of the aircraft on PPRuNe. It’s the very last thing that the pilot needs and it in no way contributes to safety.

I don’t know why the aircraft whose pilot I assisted apparently landed without the undercarriage extended, and you don’t know why UOV ended up in the circumstances it did. It’s none of our business, other than for the purposes you (correctly) identify: Always check that a runway’s clear before landing. Always. Questions as to why an aircraft ended wheels up on a runway are for ATSB and CASA and insurance companies to work out and, in time, we might find out the course of events which led to the unfortunate outcome.

Another tip FWIW: Be careful publishing photos that appear to be taken in the circuit by you from the ‘left seat’ as PIC. At the point in the circuit and the height at which a couple of the photos you’ve posted were taken, good airmanship would probably have the PIC concentrating on more important things than taking photos.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 19th Aug 2022 at 09:50.