PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighting Chinook Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 22:33
SASless

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
Good observations....also I am thinking the Aft head tilt is greater than the forward head.

We might look at some of the RAF Chinook display videos and compare Aft Head movements to this video we have and see if there are any useful comparisons.

That still photo sure seems to show the Aft Blades in an unusual position.

The fact the two heads operate in reverse from one another complicates matters visually as it is hard to determine which had the failure and which was being used to counter it but we can safely assume it is something in the Yaw Control system that is failure due to the yawing seen in the video.

Chinooks just do not do that on their own normally.....as LTE is not an issue in the Chinook as it might be in a Single Rotor Helicopter.

There are aerodynamic issues that do affect the handling of the Chinook that will bite you but none that would create such a yawing moment or rate of rotation.

You youngsters that can still see....look at the video from the very beginning....and tell me if. you think the Bucket has been filled or not.

My impression is that was not filled as there is no bulging to it....just long and skinny looking.....or perhaps only partially filled.

It also looks to have swung out quite a distance as the video begins.

Last edited by SASless; 18th Aug 2022 at 00:47.