PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighting Chinook Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 01:04
SASless

Received 497 Likes on 206 Posts
Shackman,

In the aircraft you had the SAS runaway....how would you describe the SAS system on yours to an American equivalent Model of the Chinook?

I am familiar with the US A, B, C-, and C models but not the D or later models and certainly not the many RAF versions.

On the three models I flew....there was a single Red Guarded Switch that turned the SAS ON and OFF. The C- and C model had the same plus a PSAS system for Pitch Attitude Hold.

On the machines I flew a quick flip of the Red Guard and Toggle With....and in theory the SAS links would have reentered or at least stayed where they were.

On some steepish slopes I have had some Droop Stop Pounding but never any damage.

I have had the unique thrill to hear them really clattering while in flight in the A Model when in a weak moment I turned the SAS off on a Student in a steepish turn and the aircraft got away from him and tried to swap ends at a hundred knots IAS....again no damage.

I can imagine yours was an experience that you will not forget....and I am very glad it was you and not me that got that thrill!

We were still learning about them when I started out on them....and flew some with single digit build numbers for the A Models.

The kind with the fixed aft gear with double wheels and had to be ground taxied using the Aft Gear and flight controls only.