PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheels-Up at Leongatha
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2022, 06:11
PiperCameron

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Wheels-Up at Leongatha

Newbie here (long time lurker) so please go easy on me... I won my PPL whilst dodging COVID last year and flying for fun as a way to de-stress from modern life and am hoping to gain my MPPC in a Piper Arrow sometime - if I can find one that works, which leads me to this post:

On 26 May this year (blimey!, was it that long ago??) I happened across an interesting sight on arrival in the circuit at YLEG. He was mighty hard to see, there were no obvious indications of a closed runway and the place was deserted when I arrived for a few T&Gs. I was planning to land on RWY 04, but since he was already blocking that, after a low pass changed to the beautifully-finished RWY 36 and grabbed a few quick pics on the way through.

Did anyone here anything?? AFAIK, the student pilot forgot to put his wheels down sometime earlier that morning. Supposedly it was NOTAM'd, but by the time I got back home they'd removed it from the runway and it was all clear again. I'm surprised to find no mention of this incident anywhere, so I guess it's a warning to all of us to be sure to confirm the runway is actually clear before joining the pattern - or risk a 2-vehicle pile-up.

Cheers,
Cameron

Overhead YLEG 2500'

On final approach RWY 36

Last edited by PiperCameron; 22nd Aug 2022 at 01:50. Reason: Pics added for context