PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2022, 14:11
PhlyingGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenL
I learned that essentially this is going to be a kit-built helicopter...!!
Yes, that's why I'm saying it'll be a kit helicopter for quite a while. When their target market is private owners flying 1-4 people flying in VFR conditions... this aircraft is designed exactly for that market at the right price point between an R44 and R66. And for folks who can afford this, they can afford a two-week "vacation" performing 51% of the "build" while sipping their espresso. The question is will that price point be actually able to be held because of their vertical integration/high technology machines or if it starts climbing. And of course, does the aircraft (and ENGINE!) perform?

As mentioned in the latest Hill video, BREXIT has actually helped them because they're only dealing with the CAA and not EASA. For the HC50, I'm sure they're going to try and use all the flight data and deliveries to try and pressure the CAA/EASA/FAA to accept any of their deviations or whathaveyou, but that's likely going to get a big, fat, no. But if they have enough revenue (and deposits) from HX50 deliveries, I could see this being done by 2030.